Morgan Moments

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Still alive....

Okay, so I know its not like me to not have posted in almost 3 weeks, but things have been unusually busy around here. So many things have been going on. One major change is that I have now successfully completed my time as a student (sitting in a class) at Brock. Since my last teaching placement for 7 weeks is going to be pretty intense, we had March Break off to get some planning done...and this was my intent for the entire week. However, plans changed a little and well, the pictures below will likely provide some explaination.....





So, as you might of guessed, Brad and I decided to take a spontaneous trip down to Florida where my parents had been for the past couple weeks. We found a great deal on a flight down on Wednesday night so we enjoyed 2 1/2 days of glorious Florida sunshine, before driving back with my parents. We made sure to maximize our days by hanging out by the pool, walking around the resort, playing a little beach volleyball, checking out Disney Boardwalk and some of their AMAZING resorts, and of course, playing a little mini golf. We actually took tons of video clips on our trip, and I was all pumped to show some, but I can't get DropShots to upload them. Hopefully I can figure it out soon, so stayed tuned. But anyways, it was such a great time to just relax before the intense 7 weeks of teaching.
And speaking of which, I have also now successfully made it through 2 weeks of teaching. My students are awesome and they seem to enjoy my teaching which definetly is a boost in confidence. This past week we covered dividing decimals, started into our unit on electricity and worked on our badminton skills. I also introduced a unit on poetry, which the kids are actually loving. I am requiring them to each read a poem of their choice outloud infront of the class and they are eagerly coming to be days before they need to with the poem they picked and even asking to read more and write more than they need to. It's great to see. I think the powerpoint presentations are probably influencing the excitement in the lessons a little bit...something they wouldn't normally be exposed to in class. It's crazy...as if I am teching poetry!! What do i know about poetry or electricity for that matter! But there I am, talking to a bunch of kids like I know what I'm talking about. The concepts are pretty easy to understand at this level, but its weird to now be in this position... where I am responsible for the knowledge that these kids will be exposed to. Its a huge responsibility, but I am up for it. I am also excited about helping out with the girls basketball team. I kind of got thrown into it since I happend to mention that I played in highschool and all of the sudden, they wanted me to take over. But sometimes its good to be thrown into stuff, becuase that's when you learn the best...and the fastest! We actually won our first game the day I was in charge and the other coaches couldn't be there!

One thing I have realized this week is that I need to learn to be more stern with the kids. For the past few years, my interaction with kids has mostly been in a relational role....focusing on building friendship and mentoring them. This has mostly been through my involvement with the youth centre. Although those experiences have been so great for me, I have to take my focus on buidling relationships with my students to a whole different level where I need to have authority and leadership and responsibility over them. I can feel myself wanting to 'just become friends' with the kids, especially now that I have older students than my last placement, but I know that this can be dangerous as a teacher and classroom management could become disasterous. But, its all part of the learning process and I am looking forward to strengthening my skills as a teacher and role model. I feel so blessed to be at my home school teaching. I told the kids just yesterday actually that I was a student at Vineland school and they thought it was pretty cool. In fact, I think I was in the same classroom for grade 5.

So lots of exciting stuff ahead in the next 5 weeks. Its going by so fast already. The days are just packed full and my mind just overwhelmed, but at the end of each day, I come home feeling so pumped about the next! It must be a good sign!

7 Comments:

At 11:27 AM , Blogger Stender Statement said...

Hey, I thought you had fallen of the face of the planet...probably how many feel about me since I haven't posted in a LoooooooNG time. Ah well, its good to hear you are doing great and had such a fun spontaneous time in FL. Those are sometimes the best trips. Great pics by the way! I'm excited to hear more about your teaching too! Love you!

 
At 11:27 AM , Blogger Stender Statement said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»

 
At 12:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
» »

 
At 9:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! car dvd innovatek user manual pdf Clomid and endometrioma american black sex Hydrochloride+venlafaxine bolit auto polish Nec 3550 dvd test software Affordable dental plans of nc Virtual tour kitchen house for sale wbr effexor weight loss Oakland raiders license plate frames American express by my guest card Genz benz ml200 Quick cash pawn shop radcliff ky fun slots games Kia sephia bumper your life vitamins safety outdoors hiking Incorporate in tn

 
At 2:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Mustang eleanor body kits Motorola rar cell phone sale hospital cancer policy http://www.health-insurance-ca-9.info/medicare-rules-re-hospice.html Nude tennis women

 
At 1:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work effexor xr 37 5 mg cap cap wyet Fluoxetine and pregancy missed dose of valtrex Porsche 944 bodykits Car polish guides Delonghi toaster ovens Vue dvd player Casio ex120 digital camera Texas home phone service Provigil and wellbutrin interaction Surveillance camera monitorsswitch impotence+drug 1974 pontiac Control parental site web canon digital rebel xt slr camera siony p-73 digital camera Tight cadillac vitamin b2

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home